The original church was built in 1878.
Members of the parish constructed a grotto .....The grotto was visible to passengers on the trains as they went through Darwin. The passenger trains are gone now and but the trees have been cleared so it is now visible by passing freight trains and from the west bound lane of Highway 12..
Construction of the current church began in 1958. The church was dedicated on the Feast of the Assumption, August 15, 1959
The Education Center was constructed in 1993.
Where are we from. Parish members are from the Litchfield, Darwin, Dassel and Cokato areas. Click on this map to see the area of memberships.
ST. JOHNíS PARISH REGISTRATION
Children of parishioners who are in college or in the first assignment of duty in the Armed Services will still be considered members of our parish. Other family members who are through with college or their first assignment of duty in the Service or are married & still want to remain members here at St. Johnís should come to the office & register as adult members of our church. If you have any questions regarding this, please call the parish office @ 275-2915 or 693-9496.
The members of St. John's are the local church. They bring life to parish activities. This is done through participation in parish liturgies. Numerous parish activities also bring life to the parish. All parish members are invited to participate in the parish by offering their time and talent. The Pastoral Council and a number of committees assist in the administration of parish activities.